Monday, January 19, 2015

Student Strike = 5 Day Weekend

One thing I've learned so far about the education system in Israel is that there is not as much of an emphasis on education. When I was in high school, I wasn't even allowed to call my parents when I was sick unless I was physically dying. It wasn't even a choice of whether or not I was going to school. I needed to go to school to get an education, end of story.


MIT Trivia in one of the English classes
Last week, we heard rumors that the students were planning on going on strike on Wednesday. Long story short, they wanted field trips and the teachers didn't want to take them and be liable for any deaths/injuries. One of the English classes put on a breakfast party for us (although I think it was an easy way for them to get out of learning :P).


The students went all out!
While we feasted over bourekas (savory pastries) and pita bread, here is a conversation I had with some of the students:
------
Students: Our test got moved to today [Tuesday] since we're all going on strike tomorrow [Wednesday]

Me: Strike? As in you're not going to school? All of you?

Students: Yep! We just stay home or go to the mall. It's great. We want field trips and we get to miss school.

Me: You're parents let you? What do the teachers think? Will you get punished?

Students: Well, they can't punish everyone! All of Israel is going on strike. None of us are showing up tomorrow. My parents don't really care.
------
Isn't this crazy? All the students decide they are going on strike and apparently they were planning on striking the whole week of school.


The breakfast club
Our team took this as an opportunity to visit Jerusalem, so it worked out that we were able to have a 5 day weekend! More info to come...

0 comments:

Post a Comment