Friday, June 22, 2012

I'm here!

So guys I have made it and it has been absolutely amazing so far!  

South Africa
Day 1 –Tuesday, June 19
Today felt like the longest day ever!  We landed in South Africa around 8:30 am South African time.  There, we proceeded to go through custom, etc.  We met an American guy, Dana, who moved to South Africa about 10 years ago and married a South African woman.  30 of us loaded into 4 vans, each with manual transmission and the steering wheel on the right side of the car!  It was bizarre to say the least.  It was a 45 minute drive to the complex where we are staying.  It is actually pretty nice!  I will take more pictures later and post them.  I am living with 2 other girls from Cal Poly, Hannah and Michelle, in some tight headquarters, but it has been great so far and I am so excited to get to know them!  Today was mainly briefing and some training on what to expect culturally this trip.

Day 2 – Wednesday, June 20, 2012
Today was awesome.  Awesome, awesome, awesome!  I got a good 12 hours of sleep and was pretty well rested once I woke up.  We mostly were taught how to teach curriculum to these children.  It was such an inspiration to hear what we were going to be doing these next couple weeks.  Dana, our project host, said something that really captured my heart.  He commented that “South Africa is a country of great resilience.  Out of the great struggles that people are born with come great hope for a place I have grown to love so dearly.”  He talked to us about safety and security in South Africa.  For example, treat red lights as stop signs after 11 pm to reduce your chance of being approached.  Also, when asking for something, always always greet the South African first.  My friend actually bought a mirror from Clicks, our CVS, without greeting the employee first, and the lady said “I’m good” to remind my friend, Sarah, to greet her first!  Then, we proceeded to learn some sayings in three different African languages, Zulu, Spedie, and Afrikan. 

After lunch (lentil soup and salad), Richard, a guy who lived in South Africa for a year and is currently a teacher in DC, taught our team how to teach in South Africa.  It was such an inspiration to listen to how we would be impacting the lives of these children.  In addition to teaching them lifelong skills academically, such as time management, how to take a test, and addition, telling them the Gospel should be at the forefront of our minds.  We have an opportunity to get to know an amazing country and be fortunate to be a part of a victory that God is going to win anyway!  What a neat experience, and I want to truly thank each and everyone of you for your love and support for letting me have this opportunity.  No matter what happens this month, God is sovereign over this experience and I am so blessed to be His hands and feet to the children of South Africa.

Later tonight, we had our first life group meeting where we told our life stories.  It was such a touching night and I am so excited for our next meeting tomorrow!  I love life groups and truly believe in fellowship with one another.

Thank yall for reading and stay tuned!



Day 3 - Thursday, June 21, 2012

Note: This is a shout out to Cobb and Meghan!  I did Insanity this morning at 7 am! Crazy, huh?  About 12 people woke up at 7:15 am to do Insanity (a video workout like P90X).  What I didn’t realize was that we are about a mile high, like in Denver, Colorado, so we were at some high altitudes trying to work out!  Several people found themselves light headed and having difficulty breathing, including me, but it was quite refreshing to start my day exercising with several members of my team.

Today we went into the township of Mamelodi.  This was the second time we got to see the township, which consisted of about a million people living in shacks and settlements the size of dorm rooms.  It was just so sad to see the extent of the poverty that so many people are unaware of.  We kept driving and driving and there were just so many huts.  It seemed like it never ended.  We parked at the University of Pretoria campus, and walked into the township, which was only about five minutes away.  The people were so friendly!  A security guard even came up to one of the project leaders and asked what was going on.  It was so odd to see a group of 30 white people walking into a township!  

Needless to say, we were the focus of the street.  We split up into groups of three and proceeded to walk on the street, greeting people and talking to them as well. 

I am so amazed at how awesome God is.  My team talked to a group of ladies, who showed us their homes.  It was basically a square room the size of a dorm room where about five people lived.  It was just shocking to see how small the living quarters were and how many of these shacks were squeezed in such a large area.  I ended up talking to one guy, Elias, who builds the shacks.  He told me what he believed in, and I was able to tell him about the Gospel.  God is so good!  I realized before we left for the outing that any words that come out of my mouth will be of God’s, and ultimately, it is up to God to work in these people’s lives, and I pray that God will continue to work in Elias’ life.  Before I left, I asked Elias if I could pray for him, and he said yes.  So we prayed together! Isn’t that unbelievable?  Would you join me in praying for Elias, that God would show him how much He loves Elias and that it is possible to have a relationship with Him. 

Guys, I can’t tell you how much I love this country already, and I have only been here for four days.  I pray that God would reveal himself to the township of Mamelodi, filled with people who don’t truly understand the concept of having a relationship with God.  We found that, as a team, many of the South Africans claim to be Christian, however, when we dug deeper to ask them some more intimate questions, they were unable to answer them.  I am just so blessed to have the opportunity to love on these people and come back to the township in a week and talk to Elias again. 

One thing I found was a little difficult was getting past the language barrier.  While we were able to communicate, I found it hard to match what I thought Elias was saying versus what he actually meant.  However, I pray that God is stirring in his heart and that today’s conversation will raise some questions.

I am beyond excited to start tutoring on Monday.  I am fearful that the kids won’t want to listen to me, respect me as a teacher, or want to even be there.  However, I am anxious to see God’s sovereign hand working in the lives of these students, especially the 12 that I will be teaching.  I can’t wait to see their faces when a light bulb goes off, and I can’t wait to tell them about how much Jesus loves them.  I just can’t wait to see the Lord working in their lives and in mine as well. 

There are so many feelings bouncing around right now!  God is so good.  So good.  What an amazing creator and savior we have! 

Day 4 - Friday, June 22, 2012

Today we haven't done much.  I am at the mall right now in a McDonald's getting 10 minutes of free Wifi, ha!  Today will mostly consist of lesson planning and a Drum circle later tonight!  I'm really excited!  Tomorrow, we are going to the Apartheid museum and to the craft market where I can imagine I will be buying several souveniers. :)

Thanks for reading!
Eann


0 comments:

Post a Comment