First off, I love Mexico, which is surprising to me, because I didn't think I would. Well, I actually had 0 expectations and was busy enjoying time with my family and at home to really think about what Mexico would be like. So if any of yall know me, you know that I love staying in and watching a good movie with good company. Turns out, my host family loves to do that as well! I think so far, we have watched 4 movies, all with (caramel) popcorn. They love watching movies and hanging out in the kitchen. Can you say match made in heaven?
 |
| Movie night done right |
I have eaten such good food here that I want to document it, at the very least for myself, so I don't forget. :) You only really need a few ingredients to live in Mexico and eat well: beans, rice, lime, avocado, tortillas, corn, meat, chile, tomato, lettuce, and onions. These are basically staples in their diet, and boy do they come up with irresistable combinations! I don't know what it is, but even though their food is so simple (for example: to make salsa, chop up tomatoes, onions, and add some chile), it just tastes so good. I leave every meal very satisfied and full for quite a long time.
1. Tacos de Carnitas. So good, so simple, so cheap (80 cents). Add some salsa, onion, cilantro, and you're golden.
 |
| From a taco stand! |
2. "Sope" - Mexican pizza, thicker pan seared tortilla, topped with refried beans and cheese. Optional (who I am kidding) is guacamole and salsa.
 |
| Making the dough |
 |
| Momma Lety killing it in the kitchen |
 |
| Feasting with all the condiments! They look like mini pizzas. |
3. "Posole" - Mexican soup dish with the options of different meats, big corn (in Chile, it would be called "choclo"), and some kind of broth. Add ins: diced onion, lime, salsa, lettuce.
 |
| Chicken Posole with Guava juice |
 |
| The big size for drinks was giant (check my left hand)!! |
4. Tamales, of course. There's a lady 2 doors down from us who sells them fresh for 50 cents each!
All of this too be continued. Today was the first day that I taught a class! We started with an icebreaker so I could get to know their names, and man, I probably remember one name out of all 70 students in my 2 classes. I hope to get to know my students on a personal level and inspire them to learn.
Tonight, I am going to a super cute coffee shop for Jazz night! Wahooo.
 |
| "La Fabrica" - warehouse. Such a cute, hipster cafe |
0 comments:
Post a Comment