Friday, July 6, 2012

Friday!

So today is Friday!  Which means, we are almost done with our 2nd week of this program!  One thing I didn't realize coming into this project was how structured this program is.  I initially thought that I would tutoring random kids for a month, but this is so much more than that.  It is a 9 am - 2 pm "job." 

Here is the schedule:
9-9:30 am : Opening ceremony - worship, announcements
9:30-11:15: Class time - Math and English (You may think this is a lot of time, but it flies so fast!  I wish that it was so much longer so I had more time with the students.)
11:15-12 pm: Lunch - There is this precious lady, Lindewa, who selflessly prepares food for 300 kids for 6 Rand each (basically about 0.60 cents a student), the budget that we give her.  She wakes up at 5 am to begin preparing the food, and is such an image of a servant's heart.
12:15-1:30: Workshops - This first session included Arts and Crafts, Ultimate Frisbee, Basketball, Rugby, Chess.  This second one, which started yesterday, includes Beatboxing (which I am helping out in hahahah), Dance, Drama, Singing, Spoken Word, and Photography.
1:30 - 2 pm : Final Competition.  There have been relays, free throw contests, and logic puzzles.

 I never thought I would be a teacher for 3 weeks, lesson planning, grading papers, writing back to students, and being responsible for teaching these kids some invaluble life lessons.  All the teachers out there, I have an infinite more respect for yall as I have gotten to get a glimpse in the life of a teacher.  Thank you for everything you do.  Truly.  I kick myself in the shins for every time I undermined the work you did and not grading tests in a timely fashion.  There should be so much more appreciation for yall, yet yall still change the lives of many many students. 

My team is the "wolves."  Every class is assigned a different animal, and it becomes a pride among the students.  My kids will always be the wolves, and we love it!  Currently, we are in FIRST place out of all the teams in terms of attendance and challenge wins.  For example, we won the water balloon toss on Wednesday and the 3 legged race on Thursday.  It is so cool to see all the kids get into the competition and really take their education to the next level.

Tonight, is "date night."  Basically, the guys on the team are planning something for the girls.  One of the guys said it was a Women's Appreciation Night, which is super sweet.  I am looking forward to getting dressed up and spending time with the community we have established!

Tomorrow, we are going to the zoo and get to pet baby lions!!  I am so excited to see some more animals and go crazy at the craft market afterwards.  Although I can't wait for the weekend, it only means there is one more week left of this trip.  Unbelievable!  We try not to think about it, because time has flown.

Side note: Today, the kids have the opportunity to stay after program and ask questions about God and the perspective cards that we have been doing in class.  I pray that the students who don't know Jesus will come and hopefully get a better idea of His sovereign nature.  Keep them in your prayers, because ultimately, sharing the Gospel is the most important task while we are here.

Another side note: We did "I am" poems yesterday, where the students wrote a poem about themselves.  Here is one from one of my students, Tebogo.

I am a child of God.
I am created by God.
I am proud of who I am.
I am so gald to be in this world.
I am a beautiful girl.
I am proud to be an African child.
I am a beautiful girl with black and white sparkly eyes.
I am proud of being slender by nature.
I am Tebogo.

Just a glimpse of the great work that God is doing in South Africa! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment