So I will keep this update short, because I have about 10 minutes before I have to lead my final Arts and Crafts workshop (who woulda thought? ha!). We are in our 2nd week of the Mamelodi Initiative Program, where I have a group of 10 students who are very near and dear to my heart! I know them by individually and have been able to bond with them over this last week and a half. I cant' wait to get to know them even better with the main goal in mind to share the Gospel with them. We have been doing Perspective cards, which get them thinking about the nature of God, human nature, who Jesus is, and the basis of truth. Each day, we give them options that correspond to each topic. They choose which "card" they believe to be true in their life and journal why.
It has been difficult, I would say, because many of these students are in Grade 9, but have the skills of Grade 3. For example, one of my students, Karabo, when asked what 4-2 was, had to use her fingers to discover that the answer is 2. It just breaks my heart that they have so much they need to know in terms of math and writing skills and I have so little time to teach them everything I know while trying to share the Gospel with them. I wish I could tutor each one of them individually for months and months on end until I feel they know what they need to know as Grade 9 students. It literally breaks my heart and puts me in tears to see how far behind they are in their educational skills.
Other than that, things are going great. I am sad that we are already halfway done, but we still have 2 more weeks left! We went to the Game Park this last Saturday and saw 41 giraffes, 20 zebras, 3 warthogs, some antelope, and the cherry on the top: an elephant on our way out! It was absolutely amazing to witness God's amazing creation and thank him for eyes to see just how great He is. Side note: one of my students, Zanelle, just came in and asked me what I was typing. I told her that she can also read my blog and that I would include her in it. So, Zanelle, if you're reading this later: you are an amazing girl and I absolutely love teaching you. You have such a heart for learning. Keep up the good work and maybe one day you can visit me in America!.
God is doing some amazing amazing things here in South Africa. Seriously. God is so good!
This past week has been amazing in terms of making and building relationships not only with my team, but also the South African volunteers. I met a high school volunteer named Given (shout out to you Tati!) and have loved getting to know him. Furthermore, God has really brought to light a lot of issues that I have been subconsciously blocking out from my memory. It has been really great to process a lot of information and just spend time away.
Well I am off to finish off a great 7 days of Arts and Crafts workshop after lunch. We have made portfolios, mini story books, landscape drawings, paper mobiles, and collages. Today on the agenda is puzzles!
Thanks for reading and Happy 4th of July! Wish I could be grilling and eating some blueberries now.
Note: I've been told that the comments are not going through. I tried to fix it but I'm not sure how! If you would like to comment, you can email me at eann.tuan@gmail.com. I would LOVE to get some commetns and emails from yall. :)
Wednesday, July 4, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
Keep doing your work....His work. Your spirit shines through these blogs...I can hear your voice as I read and know how you are loving it!!
Post a Comment