Meryl and I have been on the hunt for empanadas. I've found some at the little stands/kiosks on the streets. Those are about 45 cents and a little pocket of fried goodness.
At the university I work at, I got a baked empanada Wednesday that was delicious! It tasted like a pizza roll and/or bagel bite calzone thing, but I will be getting some more of those.
 |
| It's a pretty university! |
 |
| Ham, cheese, tomato inside |
I have been cooking a lot, call me Chef Eann. I won't bore people on Facebook with pictures of food, but I figured I could put some of my recent meals up here, so feel free to scroll down past the pictures ;).
 |
| My breakfast! I made huevos rancheros (bell peppers, onions, beans, tomatoes topped with egg and cheese) |
Yesterday, a couple girls, Rachel and Ana, went to La Vega, a farmer's market type place and it was like heaven for me! Tons of beautiful fruits and veggies, all so cheap!
 |
| 1 USD ~ 500 pesos and 1 kg = 2.2 pounds! |
 |
| My findings :) |
 |
| Ginormous kiwis! |
I ended up getting 3 large bell peppers ($2), 2 onions (80 cents), 1 head of broccoli ($1), 2 pounds of grapes ($1.40), 6 large Fuji apples ($1.40), 10 kiwis ($1), 6 bananas ($1), 3 large pears, some flan ($1), an alfajor ($1), and 2.2 pounds of salmon ($10). I had a great time and will definitely be coming back!
 |
My treat ;)
|
Last night, we went to a restaurant/diner called Fuente Alemana, known for their sandwiches. According to
TripAdvisor, it is ranked #8 restaurant in Santiago! I ordered "lomito con palta" or pork with avocado and it was pretty good! The food here so far has been underwhelming. It's been good, but not out of this world. I'm starting to think it was hyped up a lot! The food isn't as cheap as I anticipated it either. Maybe I'm just ignorant, but the prices here are relatively similar to those in the US if not a hair more expensive.
 |
| The restaurant is U shaped, with no tables and the kitchen in the middle. |
 |
| All the ladies who worked here looked like grandmothers who had been working for awhile! |
 |
| So good! |
After we walked back to our apartment and got churros from the Churro truck! They. are. so. good. I ordered one filled with manjar - caramel condensed milk like dulce de leche and it was delicious. So good!
Until next time! Happy Friday!
Ciao
0 comments:
Post a Comment