Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Stop Staring!

I was on the train yesterday, and this guy would. not. stop. staring.  It was like my skin was green or something.  Every time I looked over, he was eyeing me and staring me up and down and back up again.  Needless to say I was extremely creeped out and couldn't wait to get off the bus.  Man these Chileans have no shame!

More observations (I don't know what number I'm on):

8. Chileans dress in dark colors. The other day I was wearing royal blue pants and people kept looking at me.  I definitely stuck out (in addition to being Asian).  The girls wear lots of "booties" (ankle boots with a bit of a heel) and most people I've seen wear black, brown, gray, lots of neutral colors.  Maybe because it's not summer or spring to them?

9. The police ("carabineros") are on horses.  Strange, but nice to see horsies walking around town.


10. Some restaurants charge for to-go boxes, about 80 cents, which is strange to me! So you can really rack up your bill with bottled water and to-go boxes.

11. Chileans LOVE hot dogs. It's so strange. There is a big German influence here, but there are hot dog and hamburger stands everywhere on the street. I probably see about 7 or 8 of them on my way to work. You can get one "completo" or "italiano." From what I can tell it looks like hot dog, guacamole, mayonaise, not sure but a lot of stuff!


Churro truck by our apartment! Have yet to try one.

12. There are lots of stray dogs, and they are so cute and don't look terribly malnourished!  Like the hot dogs, I probably see about ten of them on my way to work and I just want to pet them!  There are even dogs with jackets. Apparently the universities have a program that feeds and neuters the dogs to keep them somewhat clean and tidy.





13. Chileans are REALLY into soccer.  Last Friday, Chile and Paraguay had a game and both times Chile scored a goal, I could uproars, cheering, and celebration right outside my window. My boss told me that for soccer games you either go to someone's house to watch the game or go to a bar.  I guess it's like football in Texas, so I understand. ;)

14. There is so much artwork on all the buildings! It's pretty artwork, not like graffiti.




15. Chileans love ice cream, gelato, fro yo, which I sure don't mind!  They have some prettttty tasty gelato.


Until next time!

Ciao

0 comments:

Post a Comment